Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend...

After much back and forth between Galveston and San Antonio...it was decided that we'd go to San Antonio. It was a lot of fun. The four of us went along with Curtis, Kristy, Carson and Kamry. For it Kristy and I it was quite a whipping after doing field week all (and by all I mean 5 days from open to close!) week. Lots of being on your feet (for which mine are paying greatly!). Besides that it was a lot of fun and I really think the kids enjoyed it.

We got up and left Saturday morning. Kristy and I decided at the last minute we should probably do breakfast. We met at the IHOP and had breakfast before hitting the road.

Once we got to San Antonio we checked in and dropped off the luggage. Then we headed to The Alamo. Ok, none of us knew exactly how to get there! Curtis was in the lead first and we went the wrong way. Then Steve was leading and went the wrong way! We all ended up there but neither cars got there the same way!

Saturday was HOT! The Alamo is really neat and the grounds around it are beautiful. We even visited the gift shop this time to go somewhere that had air! I'm not sure how much Jake got out of it. He and Carson were busy talking. Jake did recognize some names from stuff he learned at school and a report he'd done. I think Jerrad understood a lot of it more. He had Texas History last year and they'd gone more into what had happened there. But the question both my kids wanted to know was why it did not look "exactly" like it did back then. They didn't understand why they'd rebuilt parts of it and where were all the old walls and stuff that are in the pictures in their textbooks?!?! I think they were expecting it to be in the middle of no where not in the middle of downtown!

After the Alamo we walked down the river a little. Then up to the street. Then the kids got to experience public transportation for the first time riding the bus to the Market Square. We walked all around the market. The kids didn't seem to impressed with that. Then we waited well over an hour to eat at La Margarita. It was so good. I don't think its as good as Uncle Julios but its almost there. After eating (and the kids all getting tatoos!) we visited several street corners trying to figure out where we needed to be to catch the right bus back to the river walk. We ended up on a trolley this time. Got back to the river and road the boat. They usually close at 9:00 but they were BUSY Saturday night and kept selling tickets!

After such a busy day we had promised the kids they could swim at the hotel. They said the pool closed at 10:00 but if we were quiet they could swim til 11:00. Trying to keep four kids quiet in a pool is nearly impossible! I was sure they'd get kicked out!

Sunday was another day on the go! We all had breakfast at the hotel and then headed out to Sea World. I really think the kids enjoyed this. It was busy there! I think their favorite was the Shamu show. We went to see if first. It was lots of walking again. I can't even begin to tell you everything we did. Of course you know I didn't ride anything! I don't like that stuff. I think Jake takes after me too. At the end of the day I realized he hadn't ridden anything either. Jerrad did. He likes all that stuff. Steve road one coaster and it made him feel yucky, which he knew it would. That was the first and last for him for the day! I think Steve and Jerrad's big highlight was they actually touched a dolphin. We got there too late to be able to feed them but they stood there long enough with their hands out that they came by and they touched one! Poor Jake was upset he didn't. His little arm would only reach so far. If he'd gotten any farther on that ledge he'd have fallen in. Guess he could've said he swam with the dolphins!

On the way home we drove through Austin for the kids to see the state capitol. Being a holiday I never thought about it being opened. We got to walk through it and the kids got to look around. I think they thought that was pretty neat.

It was a really good time for a short little vacation!

Watch the slide show at the top of my blog to see pics from our weekend.

No comments: