Wednesday, August 27, 2008

SHINGLES...you have got to be kidding me!

It was confirmed by my doctor this morning...I have shingles! How odd! Sunday afternoon I noticed these bumps coming up on my side. Anyone close to me knows over the past year I've had my share of weird bumps and rashes. These were not like any of those! Then they got to hurting. Not excruciating pain but uncomfortable. Almost like I'd exercised (yea...right) and made my obliques (fancy word for side abs!) sore. Monday night I decided to try the internet and figure it out. I thought maybe shingles but maybe not. Steve tried putting some lotion type medicine on them and I flinched when he touched my skin...it was very sensitive. I looked up pictures of shingles. Really...they need some new pics. My bumps look nothing like what they show! After talking to mom and hearing when she had them that hers didn't look that way either I thought well maybe they are! Yesterday afternoon I was pretty uncomfortable so I thought I'm just gonna go to the doctor. Made the appointment. Went this AM! Wasn't there five minutes for him to say "unfortunately, those are shingles!" He gave me a prescription for anti-viral or something. It might be a steroid and then a prescription for pain meds in case it gets worse and the ibuprofen doesn't help. Who knows how long I'll have this! Hopefully it doesn't get worse and is over soon! The doctor said things that bring on shingles are an illness (haven't been sick), being tired (that just started Monday w/school starting - this showed up Sunday!), and stress. I didn't feel stressed til Monday either. Mom seems to think that maybe its the stress and that I've been stressed and worried about Jacob for some time now and that's what could've brought it on! Who knows. Dr. Poquiz also said sometimes there isn't a trigger you just get them! GREAT to know! Even better news...you can get them more than once. Oh for joy...I'll be sure to look forward to that!

No comments: